Mary Beth – January 21, 2020

I found last night’s zoom session informal, informative and truly wonderful!

Mary Beth’ s insights paired with Alec’s knowledge and experience complimented the American facts with Canadian parallels. I appreciated the links and chat additions as well and couldn’t save the chat for future reference fast enough!

Professionally and personally I took specific notice to COPA and Mary Beth’s reminder that “these sites use your data to market items or things back at you”.  I was shocked to learn that there are no global laws surrounding users and the ability for companies to track or market a consumer.

In regards to mental health, I wasn’t surprised to hear that Instagram is the worst for mental health in her opinion and that students feel like they have to act differently online to maintain status quo. Have already engaged in conversation to my own children and students regarding Mary Beth’s reference to “teens aren’t addicted to social media, they are addicted to each other.

“Read laterally not horizontally” was a great reminder that bias is indeed the hardest to teach because you need content in order to understand bias.  “If it makes you feel something, it likely has a bias” Mary Beth said and I couldn’t agree more!

I look forward to reading Dana Boyd’s book, It’s Complicated as I fell it will add and expand my worldview surrounding my major project as well as reviewing Manoush Zomorodi’s work.

5 thoughts on “Mary Beth – January 21, 2020

1. Nice post! I completely agree with you and didn’t even think about how Alec and Mary Beth complemented each other in terms of relating parallels between the States and Canada. Really interesting and it was incredibly insightful. It was a great class to be a part of, a lot of great information.

2. Michala,

I agree! I enjoyed that Alec and Mary Beth’s knowledge paralleled one another in order to give a comprehensive overview of the American and Canadian perspectives. I wasn’t surprised either to find out that Instagram is the worst social media outlet in terms of mental health.

Teaching bias when researching has been a struggle this year for my students! I find that more often than not, my students will find a source and are so quick to assume that it is accurate. Recognizing bias is such an important skill, but requires a lot of practice and repetition to get used to applying it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

3. I also looked into the book ‘It’s Complicated’ but found it interesting that the introduction was based on his expereince observing highschool students in 2010. I remember my own use of technology then and feel that it has drastically changed. I still have to read more of the book but I am interested to see whether some of the other information may seem ‘out-dated’ in 2020 or if it is still relevant today. I’d love to know your thoughts as you read the book!

4. What a great presentation. I too thought the interplay between Alec and Mary Beth was useful in building up the conversation and providing useful parallels to our Canadian system in the context of our course.

I wonder… if you feel something when you read something, is that definitely a guarantee of bias? I know in my case, I’ll feel something when I read something that connects to one of my values, or, the exact opposite, is so far removed from my values that I want to read and learn more. Or perhaps it somehow pertains to my life or perhaps to the life of a friend (in which case I’ll send them the article/funny thing I found!)

I agree with you that Instagram definitely has some bad potential for mental health, and the whole FOMO thing that Mary Beth talk about and that you picked up on as well. I got off Facebook a long time ago for sort of the same reason. Haha, not surprisingly, I believe that Facebook bought Instagram a while back.

5. Just goes to show you it’s like the wild west going on behind the scene of the website we just gave our personal information too to gain knowledge, products, conversations, and more. There’s a hidden price and usually no buyer beware sign (or so hidden that it’s virtually invisible). Very interesting and shocking for sure.