Cellphones in the Classroom – Yay or Nay?

This issue has been debated so often. Almost as often as hats in schools or gum chewing.  Yet as digital citizenship education and approaches change and improve and more educators gain confidence teaching using online tools, cellphones in my experience serve as additional tech options when limited school computers arent available. Both teams debated this issue very well and argued valid points on each side.

At the end of the day, this issue is valid and seems to require all parts of the education system to be on board – the school division, school, teachers, individual classrooms, students and parents.  Well laid out and follow expectations,  consistency and mutual understanding are required for hassle-free use of cell phones in school.  Embrace them as we all know and use them ourselves daily.

One thought on “Cellphones in the Classroom – Yay or Nay?

1. Michala I appreciate the way that you summed up both sides by organizing the points on the cell phone (A+ for creativity). I guess what resonates with me, over the debate of hats or gum in school that you mentioned is the fact that there are long term benefits and risks to cell phones in the classroom. It is such a difficult decision to make as the advantages and disadvantages lists weigh each other out and once they are accepted in classrooms they will be very difficult to remove.